To all the little superheroes



Halloween is like Christmas for my superhero loving heart.  I love seeing all the little Captain Americas and Spidermans running down the street.  It reminds me of the first year my son asked to dress up as a superhero.  He wanted to be Superman, so I made him a cape and found a pair of Superman pajamas (because I'm practical like that).  He tried it on and gleefully ran through the house making swooshing noises and jumping on furniture. Mission accomplished, I thought, proud of myself for creating a mini superhero.

Fast forward ten minutes.  I'm cleaning something in the kitchen when I notice a very sad little four-year-old Superman walking toward me, shoulders slouched under his red cape.

"What's wrong, honey?"  I ask.

He steps toward me and holds out both hands palms up.  "I need powers in my hands...I don't have powers in my hands." He truly believed the costume would give him powers.  He didn't just want to dress up as Superman, he wanted to be Superman.

I didn't know what to say.  I felt like I was on the verge of destroying something as significant as Santa Clause.  Truthfully, I don't remember how I comforted him.  But I'm happy to say he was a Power Ranger this year, high kicking and karate chopping to his heart's content, so I must not have completely destroyed the magic. 

So Cheers to all the little believers and dreamers.  I'd like to think there's a little bit of a real superhero in all of us.

6 comments:

  1. That is so cute. I wish I still believed that. I guess that's why I write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candice!! You're back!! I've missed you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chantele! Amidst all the summer craziness, I've missed me too. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, awwww. Don't you love the mind of a child? In a way, I miss those times. When magic was still alive. When anything (literally ;) ) was possible. *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete