On the Lookout for Superheroes

I'm always on the lookout for superheros in disguise.  I figure the fact that we believe they're made up is really the only thing keeping them concealed.  Because let's face it, Clark Kent is not a great cover for Superman.  Glasses, really?  If glasses were enough to conceal your identity everyone at my son's school would think he had two moms.  The I-can't-be-bothered-to-look-like-a-human-this-early mom and the moderately-put-together-because-today-is-a-gym-day mom. 

And what about all those suspicious behaviors, like disappearing every time there's an emergency.  Do any of you remember watching He-Man and how all the other characters mocked Adam for being a coward and running away every time there was danger?  Put two and two together people.  If the blonde bob and rippling muscles aren't clues enough (again with the poor disguise), surely the fact that he runs away seconds before He-Man appears ought to tell you something. 

In my superhero book, JADED, the characters have all done away with their alter egos.  They're too impractical and let's face it, being a hero all the time gets you more attention.  I think if you've got super powers you should just go with it.  Maybe that's why I love the Old Spice Guy.  He's got it all: talents, good looks, sexy smelling body wash, and the ability to do everything.  But most of all he doesn't try to hide who he is.  He says he's exceptional, and I, for one, am inclined to believe him.  You GO Old Spice Dude.  You're my superhero of the week, this time discovered in plain sight.

11 comments:

  1. Ha! Great post, Candice! The old guy in the Dos Equis commercials is cool like that, too. LOVE him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the adage, if you've got it, flaunt it, applies here. Why are superheroes so modest? Loud and proud, people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, love it! Ripped the metal siding off my house and forged it into a motorcycle with my bare hands...while I was a sleep.

    Love. Also, LOVE the superheroes in Jaded. They rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So ... I want to read Jaded. I heart superheros. And that old spice guy has a nice body... Just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the Old Spice guy. He's my hero for sure. The next time I'm dangling over the edge of a window sill, twenty stories up, I want HIM to save me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alter egos are so over rated. They never really work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I want to read Jaded! I think my favorite superheroes are the most unlikely ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha, you know, it boggles my mind how a simple eye-mask is supposed to conceal the secret identities of so many super heroes. Yeah right. And I'd be one of those two mom's kind of gals ... you know, if I ever decided to get semi put together for a gym day ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As the original old spice man, I'm proud of my protege, whom I lovingly refer to as "new spice". I am NOT proud however, of the 90's girl band I started, "the spice girls". Especially "scary spice" (shudder).
    Ahh....Ce-la-Vie.
    Well, I must go. The moon needs to be hurled around the planet again like a giant tether ball, just like it does every night. What, you thought that just happened by itself? Oh bless your pretty little head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I left a comment on here earlier and it didn't stick. There is no way I can recreate the genius that was my comment (actually it was a really stupid comment but we'll pretend it was cool). Love this post. Love super heroes. Love the old spice guy (and apparently the original one as well). :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was awesome. Those commercials crack me up. Forged with his bare hands while he was asleep. Ha!

    And totally with you on the poor disguise thing. Dumb superheros. Superheroes?

    ReplyDelete