Just Relax

Doing yoga with a kindergartner running around in the house is not a practical (or relaxing) endeavor.  I don't know why I thought that things would be different this morning simply because said kindergartner was in the bathtub.   My meditation time this morning went a little something like this:

*Sitting Pose**Deep breath*   in with the good out with the bad...
"Mommy, the water isn't touching my toes!"
*Forward Lunge**Stress levels rise* "There is plenty of water in the bathtub. Just wash your hair."
*Garuda Mudra* Activate blood flow, increase circulation, listen to my breath, calm beating heart.
"Mommy, I need you to come in here!"
*Ignores**Downward Facing Dog*
"Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy..."
*Warrior One**Stress levels rise to twice what they were before starting yoga* Just keep breathing. Maintain relaxation and focus.
"Mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy..." 
*Pauses DVD* *Walks into bathroom*
"What do you need?"
*Son looks up and thinks for a second*  "Are you exercising?"
*Deep breath* in with the good out with the bad...

Sometimes keeping balance in my life can be tough.  I feel an urgency to finish my books, acquire an agent and get published.  But I know from experience I am better off when I take the time to do the other things that are important, like exercising, taking care of my family, reading and giving service. In the end I believe I accomplish more than I would if I just ignored everything and wrote all day long.  Yoga is just one of those things that helps me find that balance.  Some days are just more "balancing" than others. 
What do you do to keep your writing life in balance with everything else?

10 comments:

  1. Awesome - all i need now is a glass of wine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm... I try to make it through my day without killing anyone. So far, I've succeeded...today.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GASP! I think I might have found something in which we are not twins! I . . . don't like Yoga. There, I said it.

    *runs off in shame*

    P.S. I love the drawing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Love it. I need more balance. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE yoga. When I have time to do it. :) I need to find more balance with my writing as well. It's so hard to find with kids, a husband, house work, and everything else on top of that. If you find any great ideas on how to make it work, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can exercise and write for just a little time each day, my life feels so much more balanced...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I told my husband I was feeling old, he told me I should exercise. (Note, not feeling "fat" but "old" because he believes in exercise like I believe in all-natural foods.) But it's just one of those "should-do" things along with writing my book and writing my book and other things I have a hard time making time for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mean if I ignore my kids (or give into that temptation to handcuff them to the bannister), I won't actually get more done with my writing? Darn. :)

    I sooooo need to try Yoga. But it sounds like even yoga doesn't ease the household stress all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. About the third, "Mommy!" is when I would have yelled "NO!!!" at the top of my lungs. >_> I'll probably make the worst mom ever.

    ReplyDelete