Dance, Monkey, Dance!


I heard my son talking to my husband in the kitchen the other day.  Out of the blue he said, "Daddy, say something funny!" I understand why he said this, my husband is one of the funniest people I know.  He's a complete jokester and makes us all laugh all the time, but at that moment, when the command was given, he was at a total loss.  After a several second pause he made a face and said something like, "Boogety boogety boo!"  This sent my son into peals of laughter.  It did the trick, but was definitely not up to par with his usual jokes and humor.

This story illustrates how I feel about my blog.  I love to communicate with all of you.  Sometimes I actually feel like I have something to say.  Sometimes I even think it might be entertaining.   But when I sit down to actually write it, the blinking cursor stares back at me and says, "Dance, monkey, dance."  "Be witty!" "Be insightful." "Be brilliant." "No pressure, but your future writing career depends on the success of your blog."  I know somewhere in the recesses of my mind that's not entirely true, but sometimes it feels that way.

Like my husband telling jokes because he's a funny guy, the blog should be a natural extension of who I am.  I am a writer. I love writing.  Blog posts are written...maybe it's just that they're about my life.  I love writing fiction, not creative non-fiction. 

In the end, when I blog,  I just strive to be me.  If there is something I find entertaining, even if it's pure silliness, (which, if you read my blog, you know it often is) I share it.  If there's something touching or serious, I share that too (sometimes).  If there's something insightful, especially as it relates to writing, I generally figure somebody else has already written a great post on it, (ahem, Natalie) and I don't bother. 

I guess I just need to lose my inhibitions, come what may, so all you awesome bloggers (yes, I'm talking to you), tell me, what is your personal blog philosophy.

11 comments:

  1. My philosophy is to have fun. Do whatever you feel like on any given post, Candice (although we do all love you drawings!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're dancing beautifully. And I wouldn't worry about repeating topics...it takes multiple, authorative sources for us to get the hint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog wouldn't be the same without your drawings and I'm with you whenever I feel the need to offer advice, I think that other people have already given it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I love the title to this post. :)

    Second, I know *exactly* how you feel. It's a big bloggy world out there, and I frequently find myself wondering where I fit in. If I'm even needed.

    Well, I say you are needed, Miss Candice. We'll take your posts however they are, whenever you write them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sort of a blogging slacker. Until recently I just didn't know what to write, or what to share. I thought people would think I was weird, or wouldn't even look at my blog, and you know what? It doesn't matter. I need to start writing my journey down, and if people like it or not, then so be it. Love your drawing and your posts! So great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the blog should be a natural extension of who I am" - I think you are dead on with this statement. I've been trying to figure out the whole "what do I blog about" thing - and if I'm myself, will I bore people to death??? I try to write what I love but I think we also have try to write it a way that will connect with other people - now that's the hard part!! (but good practice for fiction, eh?)

    Following you now on Twitter and let's share our #writegoal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the exact same way you do. Once I force myself to write a post, I'm glad I did. But a lot of times I'm wracked with guilt because I haven't posted in days. It's sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lately I've been blogging about once a week. I enjoy it, but I don't have nearly the same enthusiasm for it I did two years ago when I started. Anyway, I always like your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand about staring ar the blank screen and wondering what I could possibly say that others want to read. In the end, though, the writing is for me. I feel better when I spit it all out and hit publish. And for some strange reason some people even read it. It's a mystery to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I blog 100% for my own enjoyment. I crack myself up and I find myself endlessly fascinating. Who needs outside input when I am so truly awesome?

    Seriously, I think if I worry too much about what people will think of what I write, I tend to not write like myself. So I just write to myself, or maybe to my kids, 'cause they still think I'm funny and entertaining.

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go stare into a mirror for a while and then work a little more on my autobiography. :)

    ReplyDelete