Tribute to the characters of Fablehaven

I am a huge fan of the Fablehaven series. Some of you may have heard me talk about it before on my blog or yours in the comment section.  I really just think the books are charming and enjoyable for all ages (from my 11-yr-old brother to my age-not-to-be-mentioned father) .  Two weeks ago I got to hear the author of the series, Brandon Mull, speak about his books to a group of kids and adults.  I also attended a few workshops where he was a panelist and went to a book signing.  So this week, in honor of the forthcoming, fifth and final installment of the series, Keys to the Demon Prison, I bring you,

Characters and Covers of Fablehaven
How Brandon Mull makes well known mythological characters new and unique.


My art vs. the professionals (there's very little difference, as you can see).

There are witches.
And then there is Muriel

 
The creepy-house-in-the-forest-knot-chewing-until-your-gums-bleed Fablehaven witch.

There are Frogs
 

Then there's Ollach the Glutton
 
The eating-everything-and-person-in-sight-growing-bigger-than-a-house-demon-frog.

There are centaurs (Napolean Dynamitesque)


Then there is Cloudwing and Broadhoof (and others).

The powerful-and-noble-yet-arrogant-to-fault Centaurs of Fablehaven.

There are Dragons

And then there's Navrog

The-Demon-Prince-lord-among-dark dragons-covered-in-oily-black-scales-belching-fire-like-liquid-gold dragon of Fablehaven

There are Fairies
And then there's this dude!

No, I don't know who is yet (the book comes out March 23rd),  but the cover is beautiful!  My guess is this is the fairie king.  I guess we'll see.

If you haven't read these, you've still got a month before the final one comes out.  Happy reading!

17 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite series (and I am totally twitterpated by Brandon Mull)! I love your drawings. I love your captions. I LOVE this post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shannon. I really think as popular as Fablehaven is, it hasn't gotten it's full due yet. Perhaps it's because the story really does become richer as the series progresses. I can't wait for the fifth book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's a hoot! My favorite = the Napoleon Dynamite style centaur.
    Isn't that Brandon Mull a nice guy? He had something friendly to say to each person as he sat there signing books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm more excited then before for the last book, but I'm also sad it will be over... I guess that's a sign of a good series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MT,
    So nice! I was even more impressed with him after meeting him. He not only answered questions, but asked about each person as well.

    Nicki,
    Yest, yes. I wish I had a book for you today...:( But I'm a bad, bad sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your drawings are GREAT. I especially like the dragon. I'm serious. And I've heard a lot about Fablehaven. I'll have to start the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to check them out for my kiddos and I. By the way, I actually like your dragon better than the one on the cover! Fo Shizzle :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your drawings are so true to the original, I almost couldn't tell them apart. Especially that witch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I STILL haven't read the Fablehaven series. I don't know what's wrong with me. I keep saying I will, one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool drawings! Your Paint skills never fail to impress. My favorite is the frog. It's quite good, Candice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessie,
    Is this more of your flattery? It's working. :) I actually have very little originality when it comes to drawing. I just find a picture of what I want to draw and then use my mouse to make a stick figurish version of it. But thank you.

    Void,
    Thanks! He is kind of cute, but not very intimidating.

    Tricia
    Ha! And especially the centaur too, right?

    Kaylie,
    The first book is great, but really the second book hooked me. After that I couldn't put them down.

    Renee,
    Thanks! I'm starting to think I need to make my drawings worse. Otherwise people might think I'm trying. And that would just be embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you know I haven't read these books yet, but after meeting Brandon Mull (nicest guy) I really want to. Okay, before meeting him I wanted to, but well, whatever.....I just need to do it. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by how many books are being added to the TBR pile.

    Loved your drawings. Will you do my book cover art in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of his covers are fantastic, but I love that red one. Your tribute drawings are very awesome as well. I like the frog the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must confess that I stopped reading the first one after 150 pages. *ducks* I guess I better pull it out again, right? Okay, I will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did I miss this post for a week? I love your drawings, quite accurate if you ask me. Yay! It comes out this month now! I'm totally going to the launch party. ;) jealous?

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooohh... you couldn't have promoted this series better if you had been a paid marketer (maybe you are?) I am going right out find it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually like your dragon better than the one on the cover! Fo Shizzle :)
    Banner Advertising Network India

    ReplyDelete