The new haircut

I got a new haircut today.  I love getting new haircuts! This one gives me maximum sassitude.  It's chin length in the front with a high, a-line stack in the back.  I was really happy with it when I walked out of the salon.  Fast forward half an hour...


I come home to my husband and son.  My husband is a bit surprised by my new haircut and tells me it's nice, but I can see in his eyes its going to take him a little time to get used to it.  My four-year-old son on the other hand immediately comes up to me and says, "Oh mommy, I LOVE your hair.  It's soooo beautiful!"  And the compliments don't stop, "Daddy, look at mommy's hair, isn't it beautiful?"


At this point I turn to my husband with  the look of , well at least somebody knows what to say when I get home from the salon and my husband looks at me as if to say, what do you expect, I'm a guy. (Yes, we frequently have complete conversations without speaking.)  My son is still complimenting me as he climbs up on a chair next to me and proceeds to play with my newly cut hair, "Mommy I really like your hair.  It looks soooo beautiful.  It looks just like a grandma's hair!" (insert that squigley stop the tape noise they put on sitcoms).  The smug look on my face immediately disappears, the penitant look on my husbands face is also gone, replaced by laughter.   My son on the other hand is completely oblivious as he continues to compliment me on my beautiful grandma hair... at least it's short for summer.


Update:  My husband has decided he really likes my hair.  I knew he would once he got used it. :)

16 comments:

  1. I really like your hair too. Ultimate sassitude. And kids, they say the funniest things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this exact situation before - too funny! Now, before I get a cut, I tell my husband, "I'm going to go get my haircut. It will be different. Maybe a little short." and try to prepare him so he doesnt act all wierd. Men are a hoot!

    And, thanks for visiting my blog. Always fun to meet new writing friends (and I like the name of your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, that's great. My dad was always the one who didn't like when his girls got their hair cut short. That half-hearted "it's nice" is very familiar to me.

    Your son cracks me up. Grandma hair...I've never met a grandma with an a-line cut! Gotta love kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kasie, I knew you would get it.

    Tess, I actually did the opposite of prepare my husband, I told him I was just getting a trim and then changed my mind. The funny thing is he LOVES short hair. It just wasn't short enough. I left the front long and he would have preferred I cut that too! :)

    Natalie, My husband's mom is VERY chic, and would totally do an a-line. I guess I shouldn't be insulted by the grandma hair comment now that I think about it. After all, my son loves both his grandmas to death. It just caught me so off guard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In December, I got my hair cut at my favorite salon, and walked out not liking it as much as I thought I should. Everyone else told me how much they liked it, even people I had never met. It was chic and stylish. But I missed my hair. I guess I wasn't ready for the sassitude. I did grow to love it. I'm glad you love it. You need to post a picture. I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber, I was considering doing a self portrait with my camera, but we all know how flattering those are!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've gone short and long so many times, but I think that my days of very short are gone. I learned this for sure when my sister got a very short haircut, and my husband told her she looked like a guy. Yes, lots of tact. But now that I know how he really feels about short hair and since we are still working on growing a family, I think it is safe to leave it long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too funny. I think you need to buy him some pink bunny jammies to show your appreciation for gma comparisons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! My son was always so upset whenever I got a haircut (he's five now and just getting over this). He always asked me to put my hair back. Once he wanted me to glue it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessie, I'm the same. Sometimes my hair has been so short I could practically spike it up everywhere, but my husband actually LOVES short hair. He thinks my hair is too long in the front.

    Tricia, I have a night gown with little Scotti dogs all over it. Does that work?

    Jenni, That's so cute. It's funny the things kids get attached to. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I always have conversations without speaking! I swear it's a gift.:) Your son sounds like mine! He is 4 as well and says the strangest, funniest things. Kids are seriously the best!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I would love to see the new cut! And I love that new photo of you on the blog, can we use it for MMW? This post cracked me up. Mark hates it when I cut my hair--and LOL! My son just took one look at my mom's hair and asked her if she was going to die soon. She's just recently allowed it to go her natural grey. Thank goodness she thought it was hilarious! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw your new profile picture. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My profile pic on blogger is a self portrait. Maybe one of these days I will get around to having someone else take my photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your picture! You look gorgeous! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to school to become a licensed cosmetologist and I always tried to explain everything to my husband as I learned it. So he really should have known the difference the day I came home asked if he noticed anything different about my (newly colored) hair. He looked at it for awhile before saying very confidently, "You got a perm!" I've learned from that moment on, that if I want compliments on my hair I ask the female types. He's got to love me no matter what, so why do I bother getting myself worked up when he doesn't know the difference between a new hair color or a perm?? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete