Total Preoccupation!

I'm amazed as I look at my current word count that it's gone up at all over the past week. I've only written a couple thousand words, but I've been totally preoccupied with our upcoming relocation so I guess that's not too bad.


I'm getting really overwhelmed at the thought of getting our house ready to rent out and finding another one to move into. Fortunately, we're using a property management company for our house, but I still have to go through and do touch up paint and major cleaning and organizing.


And as far as the moving goes, I've been told that if I have a drawer full of trash in my house (Do I have any of those? Of course I do. They're called junk drawers for a reason!) then the movers will pack up the trash and cart it across the country and dump it back into a drawer on the other end. That fact combined with the weight limit that we have to stick to, has turned me into a professional de-junker. I am filling up garbage cans right and left!


I also have to sell my car (we only want to drive one across the country). Which, considering it's getting pretty old, isn't the saddest thing in the world, but I do love my Honda, and it only has 120,000 miles on it. It was a great car to get us through grad school, and I'm feeling a bit sentimental about it. Weird, I know. Who doesn't want a new car right?


Then there's the fact that we've been feeling really strongly that would should finish up the paperwork for a second adoption. I've been working on it bit by bit over the past year, but all of the sudden I have this desire to hurry and finish it! Last time that happened was the same time Benjamin's birth mother became pregnant with him, so I'm thinking maybe there's a baby out there that needs to come to our home. That's, of course, very exciting, but the timing is a bit crazy!


The result of all this is that my writing is suffering a bit. Oh well. Living life is more important than writing about it, right? But man I sure do miss my long writing days... I think I'm going to have to resort to late nights or early mornings pretty soon. And I do love sleep, but I miss the writing more.


11 comments:

  1. Ah yes, sleep or writing...the age old dilemma! Still, I hope all of the stressful life things go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I feel you!!! So much. I have moved three times in the past year, and it pretty much sucks up every spare moment. Writing falls sadly by the wayside.

    Good thing is, it doesn't last forever. Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEH! Moving is such an awesome adventure! Hang in there! And you'll love your new home, I promise! It's going to be awesome. And no wonder your head is every which way, seriously. I'm not moving until May and already my head is swimming! How exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiersten, Thanks! I find that the Sandman always wins, eventually.

    Renee, I know you understand! I've decided the silver lining to the situation is that once we get to Ohio I won't know anyone, so I'll be able to be a recluse for a while and just write, write, write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenni, It totally is an adventure! Were you ever stationed at Wright Patterson? I can't remember if you told that or not. I shouldn't be complaining to you since you're moving across the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many new changes! How exciting. It IS a wonder you've gotten any writing done. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so exciting, so much hustle and bustle. Try to remember to take breaths in between all the action. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting: new house, new (future) car, new (future) baby. And a house purged of junk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie, I am rather proud of myself that I've gotten anything done. :)

    Jenn, Oh no, don't add breathing to my list of things to do! haha

    Tricia, You are so right (along with the others), it is exciting, and I remember that most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must we? I mean haven't we already talked about the move already in a post? Are you trying to rub it in? Are you trying to constantly break my heart? I mean, hello, best friend here. Can you just please not move? Have I already asked you that? BTW, I'm bringing over a box of junk to your house. Will that prolong the inevitable move?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kasie, *sniffle* you'll still have friends here. I'm moving to a place where I won't know anyone!

    ReplyDelete