O-hi-o (add in your own music)

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="350" caption="Dayton, Ohio"]Dayton, Ohio[/caption]

This is the song I've been singing this morning (to the tune of Oklahoma which doesn't quite work with out an extra o at the end).  We finally know what the future holds for us, and it begins in lovely Dayton, Ohio.   For the last few months my husband and I have been waiting with bated breath to see if all of his applications, interviews, and efforts over the past four years would finally pay off, and I'm happy to say that they have!  Neal got his number one pick in the internship match.  He will be commissioned as a Captain in the Air Force in the next couple weeks, and then we will be preparing to move across the country so that he can work at a hospital on the Wright-Patterson Air Force base.  We are so excited for our new adventure to begin, and though we will miss our friends and family terribly, we know we're doing the right thing.  

Thanks to Renee, I know a bit more about Ohio than I did a month ago, but it will definitely be quite an experience to move to a new place sight unseen.    My recent research into the area brought to light a few interesting facts about the city.  So far I've learned that Dayton was named the cleanest city in the US (not a bad reputation to have), it's the birth place of aviation and the Wright brothers, and it's often reffered to as the "Gem City."    I also learned that it is suceptible to tornados, floods, blizzards and thunderstorms- eek!  I'm an Arizona/California girl, so I'm sure that will take some getting used to.  Now all I have to do is get my house ready to rent out, clean out all my junk before the movers come, and prepare myself mentally to be a military wife--not necessarily in that order.

15 comments:

  1. Wow! How exciting and new. Good luck with all the changes; I'm sure they will bring so many great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. wow, I really overuse the smiley face emoticon, don't I?

    oh well. :) (see what I mean?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O! H! I! O!

    You chant out each letter while making the shape with your arms--YMCA style. :) And usually, this is chanted during the song, "Hang on Sloopy," which is the official Ohio rock song. (Don't ask me why. :) )

    Anyway, YAY! I'm excited for you!! Ohio is a fabulous place! You will love it. I can't wait to see how things work out for you. And, of course, if you ever have any questions, ask away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, thanks! I hope so!

    Renee, :) :) ;) :o How else are we supposed to show emotions on blogs? :) P.S. now I'm sining the "Hang on Sloopy" song. Thanks for the new, Ohio-approved theme. :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAHHHHH! Gasp. WAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!! Sob. I *tears pour mournfully down her face* can't believe *wipes snot with the back of her hand* you're leaving me. DON'T GO!!!!!! WAAAAHHHHHHH! Yes. I'm a huge baby. And selfish. And I think I will now become an official recluse. No, you guys deserve it. *she admits bitterly* I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAYAYAY! I'm sooo excited for you!!!! Seriously! In more way than one!!! YAYAYAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. This is too soon. I thought this would be later, in the summer--you promised! Okay, you didn't but I'm still going to use Kasie's daughter's line: You owe me fifty dollars. I feel cheated that we've just met and now you're yanking yourself out from my life.
    But, I'll suck it up and be happy for you--like Kasie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kasie, thanks for the bitter admission... I'm sad too!!! thanks goodness for phones and skype!!

    Jenni, Thanks! I know you know all about the Air Force. :)

    Tricia, I'm sad to leave all my writing buddies here, but we'll still be great blog friends. And I'll come to your release party when your brilliant memoire gets published!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, but I can't hear your beautiful speaking voice on your blog! When are you moving? It sounds soon. I do wish you well in all things. (Did you know they moved the Area 51 aliens to Wright-Pat????) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're moving in June most likely. It's really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, you're so nice! And seriously??? That's so cool!! I would do some major snooping, but I then I might get caught by the guards and be in big trouble. Still.... the wheels in my head are turning... I think I might have to write a mystery novel. I do so love suspense!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not saying I believe it, but google the terms and you should come up with some wild stuff. I have a son who's a big fan of Coast to Coast AM and he tells me about all this alien stuff. He finds it fascinating; I find it terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool! I went to high school in Beavercreek Ohio... which is very near Dayton and Wright-Patt. My sister went to college at Wright State University and she still lives in Cincinnati. I go out there at least once a year to visit her too.

    So yeah! Oh-Hi-Oh! :D They never had a tornado where we have been, but they have sirens every once in a while. Also, any time it snows everything closes. LOL... I mean EVERYTHING! They closed the mall a week before Christmas for goodness sake! LOL I hope you love it! It is green, lush and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, I find it fascinating too. I tune into Coast to Coast if I happen to be driving late at night.

    Jenn, Thanks so much for the info. The more I hear the more I think I'm going to love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a wife who has followed her husband in three different countries in three years, I can completely identify with what you are feeling. On the one hand is the excitement of the things to come, and on the other a bit of sadness at leaving people and things behind.

    All the best for your move, and happy writing throughout this whole transition!

    ReplyDelete